2.23.2011

Rosie and her surgery

Our little Rosie was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at the beginning of the year.  Since her decline was pretty rapid, we took her to Circle City Vets on the north of town to see if she was a candidate for surgery, and thankfully she was!  So yesterday, Rosie had a femoral head ostectomy on her right rear leg.  She had to stay overnight, but I picked her up this afternoon and she's doing MUCH better than I anticipated!  She's not putting much weight on it, but that's all we're going to work on for the next two weeks....slow walks and pressure on the leg.  Then we'll go back to the vet, get her staples removed and start physical therapy, which includes an underwater treadmill, which is EXCELLENT therapy for this type of surgery.  There'll be some exercises that we'll do with her at home (like dancing...hmmmm...better create a playlist for this :) so it'll be a lot of work on our part to make sure she heals properly.

I'm very thankful that Joacim's can take Rosie with him to work to keep an eye on her, since I've been out sick this week and cannot afford the time off.  We've got to ice her 4 times a day, keep her on a leash at all time, try to get her to put pressure on her leg (even if that means putting a piece of tape on her left foot) and make sure she's comfortable.  She back to wearing the e-collar, and she looks absolutely pathetic...reminds me of the reason I fell in love with her on the Humane Society website :)

Here's Rosie seeing Murphy when I brought her home.  I had to keep them separate initially because I didn't want them to get wound up and play like they normally do...kinda sad, huh?



No comments: