10.17.2008

Izzy's 4-month checkup and Swedish class

OMG! I can't believe how long I've gone since I last posted!!!! And please don't think it's because I don't have anything to say, because I DO! It's been difficult to make this a priority (actually, it's been impossible lately!). You'll hopefully :) see several small entries rather than one large one, because we've been pretty busy lately. Here goes with the first one...

Izzy had her 4-month checkup this past Monday (Oct. 11). All is well with our little girl...Here's her stats:
Weight 12 pounds 9 ounces
Length 24 inches
In both categories, she's following the 25th percentile curve, which essentially means we've got a itty bitty little girl. But she's very healthy and very proportional (and absolutely adorable, if I do say so myself!) She also had to get her 2nd round of shots, which wasn't the most pleasant experience for her. She was already pretty cranky at the doctor's office because she was hungry, but we had gotten her calmed down, and you should've seen the look on her face when that first needle went in! I don't think I'll ever forget that one! Poor little thing!! Thankfully that nurse is faster than the speed of light with the shots, and it's over in less than 5 seconds. Again, right after she was done, I nursed her, and she went right to sleep. She didn't sleep as much this time as she did the last time, but she got a few catnaps in.

After her shots, we drove up to Noblesville so I could try out some Swedish classes. To make a long story short, I heard about these Swedish classes that were being taught by a native Swede. The class on Monday night is for children and spouses of Swedes who do not speak Swedish natively. There is also a Swedish school for kids who speak Swedish as their native language, and that's on Sundays. I have to admit that it was kinda fun to take a class with mostly kids..they have such an interesting perspective..and an amazing amount of energy. This week we focused on fruits and swinging Swedish songs for Luciafest in December. After going to one of these classes, I realized that I know a lot more Swedish than I thought I did, but this class will be good for helping me with the pronunciation, which is one of the hardest parts for me. All in all, a good experience, and hopefully one that will energize me again.

I had read an article the other day about people losing their memory (which I completely relate too after having Izzy). Anyway, it was talking about how people can improve their memory by learning a new skill (such as a new language or musical instrument). They even said that brushing your teeth with your non-dominate hand can help, so that seemed like a great excuse for me to start back up with the Swedish. Plus, I need to get better speaking it around Izzy. Wish me luck!

No comments: