6.15.2012

Recipe of the Day : Breakfast egg muffins

I posted this on my FSGS blog, so sorry if you've already seen it.  Not everyone reads that one though, and I used to post recipes and stuff I make over here.  

Breakfast started to become a big issue when we got here  We were getting up at 5:30am (and for anyone that KNOWS me, they know that this is hysterically funny).  Anyway, I had to figure something out that would fill me up and not make me nauseous.  After I was diagosed with colitis, I noticed that I would wake up nauseous most days, so I didn't really eat much breakfast, and I've always preached that it's the most important meal of the day, so I had to figure out what to do.  I needed protein to last me through the day, and I wasn't getting enough.  And since I'm not a morning person and can't make eggs before work, I decided to make these breakfast muffins on Sunday, which gives me enough for 6 days.

I start off by filling a muffin tin with about a 1/2 cup all-nature shredded potatoes.  I put these in the oven until they start to turn golden brown.

While those are cooking, I chop up some low-sodium ham and bacon, but you could add onions, green peppers, whatever you wanted.

Then I take anywhere from 12-16 eggs, add about a 1/4 cup of milk and beat them.  I also add in some fresh chives and dill from my window herb garden.

Once the potatoes are done, I add the egg mixture to the pans, and then add the meat and some cheese.  I let it bake about 20 minutes.

And voila!  Yummy, easy breakfast muffins full of protein (and probably more salt than most are comfortable with but it works for me.

I let them cool, add them to a plastic bag, and in the morning, I take out 2 of them, pop them into the microwave for a minute and eat them with some salsa.

I'm really into the "real" food movement.  I use real butter, I don't use low-fat or fat free or sugar free anything.  For me, it's all about as natural as possible, and moderation. I'm not perfect, nor do I claim to be, but I also believe that if it all came down to nutrition, we'd all be cured, so I'm a realist trying to strike a balance doing the best I can and keep my life "normal".


No comments: