7.22.2011

This is what I've been dreading...

My friend, Rebecca, kept telling me about it, but I think I only half-listened.  But now it's my turn.  Izzy is potty training, and what I've been dreading about it is two-fold.

First, I dreaded using public restrooms.  For the most part, they're just gross.  And to think Izzy's little tush is sitting on them CREEPS me out.  This was the first time that we've taken her out for an evening with panties on.  Usually, I'm pretty lazy about it...I know, it's terrible...but it's true.  She had panties on when she came home from daycare and wanted to keep them on.  Since I've been fighting with her to even WEAR panties lately, I figured it would be bad of me to force her to wear a pull-up just because I didn't want to deal with it, so off to dinner with panties we went.  And, as luck would have it, she had to go right in the middle of eating.  No biggie....we got up and easily made it.  The bathroom was crowded...and the stalls are pretty tiny, but she went. By the way...I wish I could take a photograph of the smile on her face when she goes...the biggest smile comes over her ;)  All-in-all, I'd call it pretty successful.

And the 2nd part of my dread...the sheer VOLUME of times that I'm going to be taking her to the bathroom in the near future, and how inconvenient most of them will be.  After dinner we went to Barnes & Noble.  Now, at least the last 5 times that we've been there on a Friday night after dinner, she's pooped.  WITHOUT FAIL.  So you can imagine that I'm pretty much dreading this one.  We went in the store...walked over to the magazines, and within a couple of minutes she says she has to go to the bathroom.  Now, I'm pretty sure she won't be going because she didn't have much to drink since the last time, but I take her anyway.  I get her all ready...sit her on the toilet and wait.  And wait.  And wait.  Meanwhile, she's asking me a dozen or so questions about the light in the ceiling.  After a few minutes she tells me that she doesn't have enough potty yet to go (cute, btw) so I put her back together, wash her hands and head on back out.  We get back to the magazines, and she looks at me and says, "Mommy, I have enough potty now..can you take me?"  Well how can I say "no" to that?  So we go to the bathroom.  And again, I wait.  And again, she doesn't go.  At this point, I figure something's going on, so I give in, put a pull-up on her, wash her hands again and head on back out.  I turn her over to Joacim so I can look around a bit, and when I meet back up with them about 10 minutes later, guess what?  She's pooped.  Thank GOD I put that pull-up on.....but seriously.  What is it about that place that causes my child's bowels to respond so consistently?????

What I dislike most about this whole thing is that it's all on me...I'm always going to be the one taking her...she's too old to have Joacim take her now (unless we're at someplace that has family restrooms like Ikea).  I sound like I'm whining...and I kinda am...but I wish this whole thing could be easier.  I'm THRILLED that we're here at this stage with her because I was wondering if it would ever happen.  But if I could just take my own bathroom with her wherever we wet, it'd make it MUCH easier for me.  Whenever I have to take her to a port-o-potty....oh dear God I can't even think about it....ewwwww ewwwwwwww ewwwwww.

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

She's not too old to go in with dad! What happens when they are out without you? Abby comes in with me as often as she goes with my wife. (Sorry Joacim, if you read this, but it's true!)

Abby has a habit of pooping when we are away from home. Last weekend we went peach picking in the morning and out to dinner in the evening. She pooped both times. It's gotten to the point that we expect it a little, and plan for extra time if we are going somewhere with time constraints. Oy!