3.26.2011

Recipe of the Day - The Penthouse Meal

You might be wondering why I call this "The Penthouse Meal".  The answer is because I got it from Penthouse magazine (don't ask :).  I could come up with another name, like the tomato pepper garlic fettucini noodle thing, but "The Penthouse Meal" sorta rolls off the tongue, non?

Start off by dicing one medium-sized onion, and mincing 3 garlic cloves (add more if you like it really garlicky).  Saute the onions in olive oil until translucent (around 5 minutes or so) and then add the garlic.  Make sure to watch the garlic closely so it doesn't brown...if it does it adds a very strange flavor.
 While that's cooking, cut up 2 peppers in large chunks (I used one yellow and one orange).  When the onion and garlic is done, add the peppers and continue to saute. 
 Meanwhile, get your fettucini cooking.  It's ok if it finishes a bit earlier and cools, as we're going to add it to the pepper mixture while it's still hot and toss.
 Once the peppers are soft but still don't give to the touch, add a pint of cherry tomatoes that have been halved.  Cook this for 5 minutes or so...until the tomatoes soften (but not so much that they turn to mush)
 When the pepper/tomato mixture and fettucini are done, add them together and toss.  Voila!
Now, me personally...I'm not done yet.  I like to add another layer of flavor.  Normally, I'm lazy and just drizzle Italian dressing and Parmesan cheese over it.  However, Joacim (bless his heart) cleaned out the refrigerator the last time and threw out the Italian dressing.  Sooooo...I made my own little champagne Dijon vinaigrette and drizzled that over it instead.

Champagne Dijon Vinaigrette
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup champagne vinegar (you can adjust this depending on your tastes..start out with less)
2 T Dijon mustard
1 medium-sized shallot, finely diced
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together (I use an immersion blender for this) until blended.  This keeps in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.

Enjoy!

No comments: