10.07.2010

Lilly Day of Service

Today was our annual Lilly Day of Service.  This year, Lilly partnered with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful to beautify the I-70 corridor, presumably in preparation for the 2012 Super Bowl.  It's things like this that make me very proud to be a Lilly employee.  There were over 8000 volunteers willing to dedicate their time and hard work to make the city better, and it was very impressive to see the sea of red Lilly shirts, as well as the final outcome.

I will say, however, that I'm a bit disappointed by all of the grumbling I kept hearing about this project.  As part of this project, 6 miles of the interstate was closed for 12 hours.  Over and over again, on the news and radio, EVERYONE kept emphasizing how big of a deal that was (in a negative sense, of course).  It's as if people truly felt SO TERRIBLY INCONVENIENCED FOR ONLY 12 HOURS.  I mean, I can understand if it was a week or so, but 12 hours?  Was that REALLY enough to justify all of the complaining?  Sure, I know that there are people out there that, no matter what, will complain.  I guess it just gets so tiring..I mean, there was nothing but good about this project.  Have you ever heard of this being done anywhere else?  Can you imagine how much this would've cost the city if it had to pay for it?  Really.  I mean, why can't we focus on the good a little bit more?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AMEN. people love to whine.
I was exhausted and had allergy nose all night = totally worth it!
and congrats on almost reaching your NephCure goal!! :)