10.16.2010

Inaugural Indy NephCure Walk - Broad Ripple Park

Today was the first of what I hope to be many NephCure walks.  It was great day.  Perfect weather.  Beautiful park.   Family and friends..what more could I ask for?  (besides a cure :)

Here are a few photos from the event.  If you'd like to see more, please visit my Lilla Loppan Photography website to view the rest.  I'll also be posting a slideshow on my photography blog...
 
 We initially tried to hijack this shelter, but glad we moved because the people who actually reserved it showed up right after we moved!  :)
I have to hand it to Leanne.  Being a mother of 4 boys, she thought of EVERYTHING we might need, down to the wet wipes :)
 And she made these YUMMY cupcakes, which I thought were terribly adorable!  No FSGS!  No NS!
 Our shirts.....important message....
 And this, my fellow readers, is Leanne.  I feel very fortunate to have met Leanne.  She is actually the first person I've met that has the same disease that I do!  Isn't that strange, and sad at the same time, that it's so hard to meet people like me?  Guess that really drives home how rare this disease is!  Leanne is wonderful...so full of ideas!  And her heart is sooo big...she's already thinking of what we can do over the winter to raise money...incredible!
 We had a small number of walkers this year, so we were able to keep it really informal...
 Here's my friend Liza and Cristian.

 This is Linda and her husband Robbie.  She also has FSGS, and was diagnosed later in life like me.
And here's our small (but AWESOME!) group.  On behalf of Leanne, Linda and the thousands of others like us,  THANK YOU...for supporting, for listening, and for caring.  Our lives would be must less sweet without you all.
 OMG...and here's Leanne's grandson, Ethan.  His parents made this adorable shirt for him.  On the front it said, "I walk for Grandma."  How cute!
 And here's the little cutie himself.  Such a good baby!

I am hoping for a big turnout next year.  Now that I know what all is involved, I (and the others) will be working that much harder to ensure a bigger and better turnout for next year.  My first fundraising goal was $1000, and when that goal was reached I upped it to $1500 (which was also reached).  As of today, I've collected $1730!!!!  Outstanding.  Speechless.  Gobsmacked at the support you all gave me and my disease.  I can not thank you enough for everything!  But I'm not finished yet :)  I can continue to fundraise until January 16, 2011, so you'll be hearing from me some more :)

No comments: