4.14.2009

Day 3 - Ft. Lauderdale

Day 3 in Ft. Lauderdale was much sunnier when we woke up, so we decided to hang out at the hotel in the morning/early afternoon, and then head up to Las Olas, which is a shopping area, later that evening.

So, after breakfast, we headed to the pool. It was VERY warm that day, and most of the shady spots around the pool had already been taken, so we couldn't stay very long, but here are a couple from our pool time:




I took a few more cute ones on my phone, but I haven't uploaded them to my computer yet, so I can't add them here yet.

After we were done at the pool, we decided to take a walk along the beach to see what was around. We couldn't exactly walk on the beach with the stroller, but there were plenty of things to see from the sidewalk. We were in an area north of Ft. Lauderdale called Deerfield Beach, which I understand is a very nice area. The beach is lovely, with nice clean, white sand. It's not a very wide beach, but it's really nice. By our hotel, it's pretty tame, but go farther north and there's a lot more action. Lots of retirees absorbing the sun, kids playing in the water, people playing vollebal...very nice. Here are some pics:

This is a view of the north end...


Izzy had a nice little nap on our walk:


Here's a view from the pier:


After we got back from our walk, we wanted to take a dip in the ocean. Now, I'm not much for this whole thing...I mean, I love to LOOK at the ocean, and LISTEN to the ocean, and PHOTOGRAPH the ocean, and dip my TOE into the ocean, but that's about it. I don't need a full-body immersion to appreciate the beauty and awesomeness of it, but I decided to suck it up and try it. I could see how shallow the water was from our hotel, and it was clear and there were no fish anywhere that I could see, so I went for it. It felt good! Very refreshing..and as I'm standing there in the water, about waste deep, Joacim's looking behind me and he says, "Now that's a REALLY big fish".. I'm pretty sure I've never moved that fast in all my life. Ever. It ended up being what was probably a small ray of some sort..and by small I mean at least 6-7 feet across. I'm pretty sure I won't be getting into the ocean again anytime soon....

After that little adventure, we got cleaned up and decided to drive up A1A to the city and do a little shopping and get some good seafood, which is about a 30 minute drive. We figured we had the GPS...what else could we need? Well, as usual for us...we needed a better plan :) We drove up to Las Olas, and it was a nice little area, but the first shop I went in was having a 50% off sale, so I'm thinking, "SWEET!!!!" Until I look at the price tag of the first shirt I loved, and it was $285...."Not so SWEET :("....so after a walk around looking at the restaurant menus along the street, we realized that there wasn't anything that sounded good except seafood, so we got back in the car and used the GPS to find seafood restaurants in the area. To make a long story short...we did a LOT of driving, only to eventually eating at a seafood restaurant a few minutes from our hotel :) Here's Izzy having her dinner:


And one of her and me being silly :)


End of Day 3....

No comments: