9.12.2011

Where were you 10 years ago today?

It's the 10-year anniversary of 9/11 today. There's been coverage all day about the memorials...videos by people that were at the wrong place at the right time. I started crying while I was watching one of the memorial services today..even though I didn't lose a loved one that day, we all lost something....innocence.

I was telling Joacim earlier that I think it's sad that I don't remember what life "felt" like before 9/11. What was it like to fly before you had to put your liquids in a little Ziploc bag? Remember people being able to meet you at the gate when you got off the plane? Seems so strange today, doesn't it?

I remember that day very clearly...I'm sure we all do.

I was living in Chicago, driving to work, which was in Rockford at that time...about an hour drive. I remember thinking about how beautiful it was that day.....blue skies...the air crisp but warming. I'm driving down the road, flipping through radio stations when I stop at Mancow in the Morning. I normally couldn't stand listening to him, but I was chan-scanning, and when I heard his voice I stopped scanning. He was so serious. And he said that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. at first, I seriously thought he was joking. But then I changed the channel and heard it again...no joke.

I don't really remember the rest of what was said...I was just remember getting to my office, and fining everyone else huddled around the only TV in the building. The picture was terrible...there was no cable so we were using a rabbit ear antennae. Then the newspeople started talking about other possible targets, Chicago being one of them. I couldn't think...couldn't concentrate...I just wanted to get home.

That was THE longest drive of my life. I kept looking up in the sky...looking for another plane. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see the Sears Tower standing...unharmed.

I couldn't tear myself away from the TV. Even today, if I had it my way, I would've spent the entire day re-living that day.

I've grown up a lot in the ten years since. Married, daughter, relocated. Today, we spent the day house-hunting in Minnesota. I feel guilty that I couldn't spend more time just being quiet today...remembering. But I'll certainly never forget.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Lacy Park said...

Thanks for posting this. I couldn't pull myself away from the television on Sunday. I cried all morning.