8.16.2011

We're moving......

Yes, you read that correctly.  We're moving.  To Minnesota.  In the winter.

Joacim's company is relocating to Winsted, Minnesota.  Where is that, you ask?  Well, I'll tell you..it's in the middle of nowhere...a little over an hour west of Minneapolis.  That's where his company is relocating, but we're looking to be a little bit closer to Minneapolis, so we're looking to live somewhere around Chanhassen/Chaska/Victoria.

I'm excited about the move, and a bit nervous, but luckily more excited than nervous.

Here's my list of things that make me nervous (and by no means is it exhaustive :)
1.  moving in the dead of winter (think this is pretty self-explanatory)
2.  selling our current house (which is in a state of utter disarray because we're getting new carpet on Saturday)
3.  finding a new house (finding one that has what we want and is affordable)
4.  finding a daycare for Izzy (the thing that makes me THE MOST nervouse)
5.  finding new friends in the area (I'm not exactly great at making new friends)
6.  finding an area :) (not sure where the best place is for us)
7.  our new mortgage payment (prices are more than double what they are here)
8.  starting a new job
9.  finding new doctors/dentists/hair stylist for the family and vet/kennel for our pets
10.  finding a new nephrologist for me

Now, here are the things that I'm excited about!
1.  The outdoorsy-ness of the area
2.  The cultural opportunities in the Twin Cities
3.  There's a Swedish language school for me!!!
4.  We can get a snowmobile (yes, this I'm excited about)
5.  Great schools for Izzy
6.  IKEA will be less than an hour away!!!
7.  potential for a photography studio in our new home and a chance to be more focused in my photography business
8.  Kowalski's grocery store!!!
9.  the potential to experience 4 seasons
10.  A chance to do something new!!!

Both of those lists change daily, but that about sums it up.  I will say that parts of the move are bittersweet for me, and that feeling will probably grow as our move date nears.  I never really thought I was attached to this house, but as we're getting it ready to put on the market, I'm finding out that I AM attached.  And starting over with a new doctor for me...well, it's just not easy.  And I really love the daycare that Izzy goes to.  It took us awhile to get there, but I'm 100% comfortable with it, and that's such a great feeling.

So, that's the big news that I wanted to share.  I've got a lot more to tell, but not tonight.  I'm exhausted from emptying our rooms for new carpet that's arriving on Saturday.

1 comment:

Rob Monroe said...

Whoa - wow! Congrats!

One of the best and worst things that ever happened to us is that we can not afford a house right now so we are in a (very spacious) apartment. It has given us the freedom to keep scouting out where we eventually want to settle.

You should post on the Nephcure page that you are moving up that way, you will likely get someone to give you a good Nephrologist lead. You might also be able to check with the folks running the study that you are a part of, too.

I will admit that the new-friends thing is proving harder than I would like. I have some weirdo expectations in my head that we would have folks over once a week, but yet we have not hung out with non-family people since the 4th of July. It's frustrating for me, the extrovert, but even I find it hard to make that leap from seeing people to inviting them to hang out. I can not tell if it was an advantage or disadvantage to have my brother-in-law and his family here first.

IKEA! I miss being able to drop by there whenever we want. When we go back "home" we always schedule a stop at Ikea and have been known to bring an extra bag just to cart stuff back!

Best of luck to you and the family as you start the process!