1.30.2011

poor poor Rosie

This is absolutely breaking my heart.  We found out right after Christmas that she has hip dysplasia, which was awful news.  We thought we'd have some time to figure out what to do, but she's rapidly declining.  I watch her do the bunny hop around the house, especially after she's been outside to play or if she's been sleeping a lot.  What's GREAT is that she still likes to play...I mean, put her and Murphy out back and let the games begin!  But more often than not lately, we're seeing her limp.  And the last week, as she's been lying down, we've heard her crying, and we realized tonight that it's because she's in pain.

We're been giving her pain meds and fish oil pills, and just started her on glucosamine chondroitin today, so hopefully we'll see some improvement.  We're also going to go see our friend's vet that we met at the EFRC charity auction last week to check her out.  Then we can get a prescription for some Adequan, which is an injection that we'll have to give her to try to alleviate the pain.

We've got a few options.  We could get her entire hip replaced, which is stupid expensive.  There's another surgery where they essentially cut off the "ball" part of her ball-and-socket, which will eliminate the bone-on-bone contact that's causing her pain.  We could amputate her back leg, or we could get her some of those wheels you see dogs with.  All options suck.  I told Joacim that there's no way I could put her to sleep over this.  I just want my cute, happy, energetic little Rosie back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh my gosh, I'm sooo sorry, those are all tough decisions. Rosie is so adorable, and she's so lucky to have you all as family who care so much about her. :)